> SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE! 

The Leavitt Group, one of the top 25 insurance agencies in the nation, recently acquired a majority interest in Jim Calfee Insurance Agency and renamed it Leavitt Recreation and Hospitality Insurance Inc.
The acquisition of Calfee’s 30-year-old Broomfield, Colo.-based company, one of the largest and best known insurance agencies in the campground sector, was completed in partnership with Rapid City, S.D.-based Western Dakota Insurers Inc.
Leavitt owns 60% of the Calfee company, while Western Dakota Insurers owns the remaining 40% of the business, said Kirk Allison, who serves as both vice president of Western Dakota Insurers and general manager of Leavitt Recreation and Hospitality Insurance.
Calfee sold his interest in his namesake company and retired after his primary insurer, Gulf Insurance Group, exited the campground insurance business.
Allison said Gulf’s departure from the campground sector left Calfee with no other choice but to turn toward other companies to place his business, including Leavitt, which had previously done business with Calfee.
“We acquired Calfee because he was writing some business through us,” Allison said, adding, “We know the campground insurance business has been in turmoil. We’re hoping to bring some consistency and stability and service to the industry.”
The Leavitt Group was formed in 1952 in Cedar City, Utah and carries a full line of business, home and automobile insurance, including insurance for recreational vehicles. Allison said the company has grown its business base by expanding its product lines and by acquiring other independent insurance agencies.
By acquiring Calfee’s agency, The Leavitt Group and Western Dakota Insurers are significantly expanding their presence in the campground arena.
Initially handling insurance for the motel industry, Calfee saw a significant opportunity in the campground business, which he nurtured through growing business relationships with individual campground operators and campground organizations, including Kampgrounds of America Inc. and Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Camp Resorts.