Editor’s note: The following story, reprinted with permission, was published in the Winter 2017 edition of RVIA Today
Popping up in unexpected places to create a hands-on RV experience and a special bond with consumers is the core idea behind Go RVing’s experiential marketing campaign. For the past several years Go RVing has taken its show on the road reaching out to potential RVers at music festivals, fairs, games, music events and more. This year the team is shaking it up a bit, keeping some of the tried and true activities, but adding a number of different locations to treat new audiences to the joys of living the RV life.
Included among the “firsts” are The Westfield International Airshow in Westfield, Mass., and two Hispanic culture festivals — the Carnaval on the Mile in Coral Gables, Fla., and Fiesta San Antonio.
Recent demographic research indicates that air-show crowds may share an enthusiasm for RV adventures, so Westfield is an opportunity to test the waters. The Hispanic events offer the chance to treat that targeted market segment to a fun, hands-on RV experience.
The engagement marketing season will begin in early March and wrap up in October. The schedule, to date, includes 26 excursions:
- Carnaval on the Mile: March 4-5 on the Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, Fla. The entire length of Miracle Mile from LeJeune Road to Douglas Road is closed for a weekend-long music, art and food festival. Go RVing will exhibit on opening weekend.
- LPGA JTBC Founders Cup: March 16-19 at Wildfire Golf Club in Phoenix, Ariz. Established to honor the 13 original Founders of the LPGA, as well as to help continue the growth of the LPGA-USGA Girls Golf Program, which has received almost $3 million from tournament proceeds to date.
- LPGA Kia Classic: March 23-26 at the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort in Carlsbad, Calif. The Kia Classic features 144 of the best women golfers playing for the $1.8 million purse.
- Bassmaster Classic Houston: March 24-26. The fishing competition will take place on Lake Conroe, with the Bassmaster Classic Outdoor Expo taking place in the George R. Brown Convention Center.
- LPGA ANA Inspiration (Major): March 30-April 2 at the Dinah Shore Tournament Course, Mission Hills Country Club, Rancho Mirage, Calif.
- Bassmaster Elite Louisiana: April 8-9 at Cypress Bend Park, Many, La. Top billed professional bass fishing tournaments, plus activities for all ages.
- Fiesta San Antonio: April 28-29, San Antonio, Texas. Celebration of the diverse heritage, culture and spirit of San Antonio for its residents and visitors.
- Dominion Riverrock: May 19-21 in Richmond, Va. Billed as the nation’s premier outdoor sports and music festival.
- AEG Live – Country 500: May 26-28 at Daytona International Speedway, the “World Center of Racing.” The star-studded lineup will feature Blake Shelton, Kid Rock, Miranda Lambert, Keith Urban, Brooks & Dunn, Thomas Rhett, Hank Williams Jr., Martina McBride, and more.
- CMA Fan Fest: June 8-11 in Nashville. This year’s CMA Music Festival includes all the traditional Fan Fair favorites like great concerts, autographs, and the best country music around.
- GoPro Mountain Games: June 8-11 in Vail, Colo. The country’s largest celebration of adventure sports, art and music. Professional and amateur athletes from around the world con- verge upon the mountains and rivers of Vail to compete in nine sports for more than $110,000 in prize money.
- FIBArk: June 16-18 in Salida, Colo. America’s Oldest Whitewater Festival.
- Live Nation – LakeShake: June 23-25 in Chicago. The Windy City’s first ever country music festival made its debut in 2015, and now fans can spend a whole weekend watching today’s country music hit-makers on stage at Northerly Island.
- Live Nation – Faster Horses: July 21-23 in Brooklyn, Mich. Country music & camping.
- Bassmaster Elite Waddington: July 22-23 in Waddington, N.Y./St. Lawrence River.
- Live Nation – Watershed: July 28-30 at The Gorge Amphitheatre overlooking the Columbia River located at George, Wash. Country music festival.
- Townsquare – WE Fest: Aug. 3-5 at Detroit Lakes, Minn. Lady Antebellum, Luke Bryan, Zac Brown Band and more.
- Wisconsin State Fair: Aug. 4-7, West Allis, Wis.
- Westfield International Air Show: Aug. 12-13, in conjunction with Barnes Air National Guard Base, Westfield, Mass. Featuring the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds.
- LPGA Solheim Cup (Major): Aug. 18-20 at the Des Moines, Iowa, Golf and Country Club.
- Minnesota State Fair: Aug. 24-27, St. Paul, Minn.
- New York State Fair: Sept. 1-4, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Jekyll Island Shrimp & Grits Festival: Sept. 15-17, Historic Landmark District, Jekyll Island, Ga. A coastal favorite, the Shrimp & Grits Festival combines the classic southern dish with family-friendly entertainment, art and craft vendors, live music, kids’ zone, food, a craft brew fest, wildlife demonstrations, and more.
- Live Nation – Route 91: Sept. 29-Oct. 1, Las Vegas, Nev. Country music festival.
- Go Outside Festival: Oct. 13-15 in Roanoke, Va. Annual event to encourage healthy, active outside recreation by combining the things outdoor enthusiasts love – camping, music, gear, races, demos, and a beautiful outdoor setting.
- North Carolina State Fair: Oct. 19-22, Raleigh, N.C.
Go RVing is looking for vehicles to display at each of the events and will be reaching out to determine interest. Interested members can contact Dana DelVecchio at [email protected]