> SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE! 

After a two-month battle with dry campers and the resorts that allowed the practice, the Southern Nevada Health District has temporarily conceded, issuing a moratorium on the cease-and-desist order that forced the RVers’ removal from four casinos in Laughlin.
The Mohave Valley News reported that casino executives were forced to evict campers, mostly owners of fully self-contained vehicles, from their properties to comply with the order dated Jan. 6.
The cease-and-desist order forced hundreds of campers who enjoy the area during the winter season to flee Laughlin if they wanted to stay in their RVs. The move outraged campers who had been coming to Laughlin over the years, with many vowing never to return.
RVers from across the county posted outcries on major RV-related web blogs and government officials were inundated with e-mails and phone calls from angry campers. The issue caused such a commotion that casino executives teamed with several local officials to change the district’s mind. Their efforts paid off and the health district responded to try to offer an alternative solution.
The health district staff said in a memo to the district board of health that they would recommend a 120-day moratorium be issued for the cease-and-desist order sent to the four Laughlin properties on Jan. 6. “The moratorium will allow for staff to write new regulations that specifically address dry camping for self-contained recreational vehicles (SCRVs),” the memo stated in part.
The memo further stated that, “While working to resolve this issue it became apparent that current Nevada regulations for RVs need to be updated to reflect the improved sanitary capabilities of newer SCRVs. New, updated draft regulations will go through the peer and industry review processes and public workshops. Regulations will then be presented to the Board of Health for consideration.” The staff recommendations were approved unanimously at the board meeting last week.
Ramada Express general manager George Stadler said that he was “excited about their decision.”
Stadler, who acted as spokesman for the four casinos in question, provided the impetus to rally government officials along with business and tourism groups to provide a united front opposing the health district’s decision.
The efforts of all those involved kept the issue alive in the local media and helped the health district understand the negative impact the loss of RVers would have on Laughlin.
“I’m looking forward to working to get the ‘I’s’ dotted and the ‘Ts’ crossed for after the 120-day moratorium,” Stadler said. “My first topic of conversation with the district is how we’re going to notify all the RVers that were angered by this decision and let them know they’re welcome back in Laughlin. We’ll all have to get our thinking caps on to figure that out.”