David West, newly named vice president of Travel Michigan, is slated to speak at this year’s Michigan Association of Recreation Vehicles and Campgrounds (MARVAC) Campground Conference/Holiday Luncheon, Dec. 10 at the association’s conference center in Okemos.
According to a press release, West’s term officially begins Dec. 1 at the Travel Michigan headquarters in downtown Lansing. West, a Michigan native, will be responsible for heading up the state’s tourism branding advertising and public relations efforts, and overseeing the award-winning Pure Michigan campaign.
West is a nationally recognized leader in the tourism industry, and 2011 was named one of the “Top 25 Extraordinary Minds in Sales and Marketing” by the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI). He has also received two Destiny Awards from the U.S. Travel Association and numerous Adrian Awards through HSMAI for social media and marketing campaigns he has led.
West, who grew up in East Lansing and attended both the University of Michigan and Michigan State University, returning to Michigan with a strong background in research and destination marketing.
“We hope that MARVAC members will attend this year’s December conference and give a warm RV and campground welcome to David,” said Gary Becker, owner of Indigo Bluffs RV Resort, and Vice President of the MARVAC board. “David will bring great experience to his new position and will continue to build on the Pure Michigan advertising and promotion campaign.”
Other presentations include:
• Review of Coliform Rules for Drinking Water Systems – Carrie Monosmith, DEQ.
• Create a Social Media Plan in 6 Simple Steps – Cheryl Russell, ASC.
• Overview of Campground Rules/Regulations Revisions – Paul Sisson, DEQ.
• All Things Weather – Mark Torregrossa, MLive chief meteorologist.
• Association Update – Bill Sheffer, MARVAC director.
• “Legally Speaking” – Ask the Attorney – William Perrone, Dykema.