Rand McNally has released an update to its highly rated RV GPS app, the first such iOS application for iPad designed for navigating recreational vehicles. According to a press release, the RV GPS app routing considers road, bridge and tunnel restrictions for propane-on-board, as well as RV-prohibited roads.
The new release, available to all current users, includes new features that allow drivers to choose between a primary and alternate route, manage and track fuel costs, and easily search for local information. They include:
• Real-time fuel prices and logs: With market-leading fuel price data, this feature provides diesel and gas prices at stops along a route or near any location. Fuel prices and fuel stop icons can be shown on the map and in list format, viewable by brand, price, or distance to location. Additionally, the feature includes fuel logs that automatically calculate fuel economy for a route, and can be viewed by month and by quarter.
• Integrated local search: This feature expands the ability to find points of interest on the device, using a keyword search, such as ‘burger’ or a category or business name. Once a location is found the app shows a description, address, and phone number. With one tap, an RV-specific route to that location is generated.
• Compare Routes: Compare Routes provides a primary route and a reasonable alternate, allowing the driver to choose. Both routes are presented on a map for quick review.
In addition to new features, the release includes a full road map update for the U.S. and Canada. The update includes:
• 52,000 changes that impact RV routing, including enhancements to parkways, weight restriction and vertical clearance updates.
• Significantly enhanced speed limit information.
• Updates and additions to numerous points of interest important to RVers such as commercial campgrounds and ratings; overnight parking information; dealer and repair locations; rest areas with RV-friendly parking; dump stations and RV-friendly travel centers.
• 17,000 new roadside attractions and Rand McNally’s Best of the Road® finalist towns.
• An updated Road Atlas e-book, as part of the app.
The RV GPS AOO is rated more than four stars on the iTunes store, and is compatible with iOS 4.0 and higher. Turn-by-turn navigation is enabled for iPad cellular models, but requires a GPS accessory for Wi-Fi-only models.