Wholesale shipments to retailers of all RVs were reported at 17,400 units in the September survey of manufacturers, a gain of 13.0% compared to this same month last year, according to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA).
This represented the second straight month that shipments exceeded the total for the corresponding month in 2008.
Seasonally adjusted, September shipments represented an annual rate of more than 230,000 units, the highest annualized total so far this year.
Towable shipments rose 17.5%, to 16,100 units, while motorized shipments fell 23.5%, to 1,300 units.
For the first three quarters of 2009, RV shipments totaled 121,400 units, down 42.7% from the 211,900 shipped in the first three quarters of 2008.
Towable shipments totaled 112,500, down 39.7% from 2008, while motorized shipments totaled 8,900, down 64.8% from 2008.
By product, shipments for September were as follows, followed by change from September 2008 shipments:
- Travel trailers, 11,300 (up 31.4%).
- Fifth-wheels, 3,700 ( down 2.6%).
- Folding camping trailers, 900 (no change).
- Truck campers, 200 ( off 50%).
- Class A motorhomes, 600, (down 40%).
- Class B motorhomes, 200 (up 100%).
- Class C motorhomes 500 (off 16.7%).