The retail sales of towable RVs continued their steady rise in June, reaching their highest total since last summer.
Retail registrations totaled 19,345 in June, Statistical Surveys Inc. (SSI) reported today (Aug. 21).
The performance still lags the corresponding sales figures for June 2008 by some 27.5%, but the industry is slowly closing the double-digit gap in year-over-year comparisons.
And the report could have been better: California and Minnesota “are experiencing delays in processing,” Grand Rapids, Mich.-based SSI stated. SSI will place the data into the correct months as it receives it, the firm stated.
By segment, June 2009 sales and their comparison to June 2008 were as follows:
- Travel trailers totaled 12,507, down 25.2%.
- Fifth-wheels totaled 4,422, down 35.5%.
- Folding camping trailers totaled 2,053, off 22.8%.
- Park models totaled 363, a 17.5% decline.
Thor Industries Inc. continued to lead the industry in three of four categories-travel trailers, fifth-wheels and park models. The Coleman brand of camping trailers led in that category.
Year-to-date, sales totaled 80,137, off 33.2% from the first six months of 2008. Segment sales followed by 2008 comparisons were as follows:
- 50,740 travel trailers, down 31.1%.
- 21,092 fifth-wheels, down 37.9%.
- 7,118 folding camping trailers, off 30.5%.
- 1,187 park models, down 41.5%