Statistical Surveys Inc. today (Dec. 17) reported retail registrations of towable RVs in October fell 24.2% to 10,187 compared with 13,439 sold in October 2008.
Declines were spread across all towable segments with the best performance by travel trailers, which lagged the October 2008 pace by just 19.1%
By segment, sales in October with comparisons to October 2008 sales were as follows:
- Travel trailers,6,649, down 19.1%.
- Fifth-wheel trailers, 2,781, off 29.4%.
- Folding camping trailers,564, down 38.9%.
- Park models, 193, off 45.9%.
Year-to-date, segment sales were as follows:
- Travel trailers, 86,392, down 26.1%.
- Fifth-wheel trailers, 35,215, off 33.3%.
- Folding camping trailers, 11.925, down 29.1%.
- Park models, 20,45, off 40.1%.
Thor Industries Inc. solidified its leading role in the industry with a 29.3% market share in October for all RVs and a 28.3% market share year-to-date. Forest River Inc. held down the No. 2 spot with a 19% market share in October and 17.7% share year-to-date.
The two firms were Nos. 1 and 2 in travel trailer and fifth-wheel sales for both the month and year-to-date. Forest River was No. 1 in camping trailers and Thor was No. 1 in park model sales for October and year-to-date.