A bill in Tennessee that would require working carbon monoxide detectors in leased recreational vehicles has been named after five people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning last year at a bike rally in Clarksville.

Police say the deaths were accidental after a generator was found near a vent for the trailer and all the windows and doors were shut.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Joe Pitts, of Clarksville, was advanced in a House subcommittee on Tuesday. Christine and Ed Watson, both of Clarksville, showed a picture of their daughter, Kathryn Over, and her husband, Jonathan, who were among the five killed last September during a Bikers Who Care event.

The law’s requirement of a working detector would not apply RVs rented in other states and brought into Tennessee. Christine Watson said the bill would prevent future tragedies by requiring a working carbon monoxide detector in leased RVs.